In 2018 the Sanger Institute turns 25, a milestone for reflection across the whole Wellcome Genome Campus and its unique place in the world of genomics and bio-data. Our next exhibition will celebrate this landmark by inviting our entire campus community, wherever you work, whatever your role, to creatively answer one simple question: what does genomics mean to you?
Perhaps you’re a passionate painter who could capture your response with your brush, or you’re a sketcher who likes to put pen to paper? Is there something that you could document in a photograph, or an image created through the work you do? Maybe there is a physical object that you can make, or already exists, that represents your response to the question. Alongside your image or object, your submission should also include about 80 words explaining what your response means to you. This information will form the caption label in the exhibition, enabling visitors to explore your submission in more detail.
25 submissions will be selected to be highlighted in the exhibition, though every submission will be included in the exhibition content, and through an online exhibition. Remember, this isn’t a talent contest; we are looking for a variety of responses in different styles and approaches. Most of all we want the many voices of our campus community to shine through in the final exhibition. The exhibition will open in February 2018 and will run until July - with plenty of opportunities to visit and bring friends and family - but for now, get creative!
There are some simple criteria for submitting an entry. These are:
- Submissions are open – and welcomed – from anyone working at the Wellcome Genome Campus, whatever your role and whatever organisation you work for.
- By submitting an entry you give permission for it to be used in the Genomic Expressions exhibition, in its online format, in promotion and any other related medium.
- You must have permission to use any image or likeness that you submit. Submissions must not infringe any copyright restrictions.
- Images will be reproduced for exhibition graphics, so please submit the best quality file that you have.
- Any original material will remain the property of, and will be returned to, the entrant.
- The exhibition curator reserves the right to substitute reproduction images in place of originals, or instead of physical object, where required.
- Those submitting an idea may be invited to record an audio version of their written passage for use in digital elements of the exhibition, including social media.
- Entries must be accompanied by a completed submission form, which includes your written response. The form can be downloaded below.
- Only one entry is allowed per person.
- Send your completed form and your submission as an email attachment to email@example.com with EXPRESSIONS in the subject field.
- The deadline is the end of Wednesday 10th January 2018.